A photo collage is a simple, beautiful, and popular creation. It consists of combining several images in the same visual file, some superimposed on others while being able to display photos, textures, shapes, and other designs. The style is successful on social networks and Photoshop is one of the main tools recommended for these creations.
Adobe editor brings more possibilities to make a photo collage. In addition to combining and superimposing layers, it provides tools to create masks, adjust textures and apply new effects to the original image.
Before starting to create collages in Photoshop, it is worth following some tips. Prioritize images in PNG format, with a transparent background, as they make it easier when layering. If you don’t find what you want in the format, try to remove the background from the software itself.
Also, do a lot of research. Look for references in textures, icons, and other photos that can add to the collage composition. With more elements, it is possible to better explore the assembly.
How to Create a Photo Collage in Photoshop
- Open a blank file in Photoshop;
- Start filling in the background of the image. In this case, a solid color was combined with a texture;
- Then insert the images you want to use in the collage. Paste or open each file on a different layer — this way, it’s easier to organize the elements in the file;
- Use the layers tab to reorder and overlap the collage images.
How to Use Clipping Masks in Photoshop
Clipping masks are a very useful feature when creating collages in Photoshop. This function allows you to create a mask and insert a layer inside the shape of another. For example: if you have a photo of a texture and a geometric shape, you can use the command to merge the options. See the steps:
- In Photoshop, leave the image that will be inserted into the mask one layer above the original shape;
- Then right-click and select “Create Clipping Mask”;
- Note that the image of the upper layer will be inserted in the format of the lower layer.
After editing the collage, just save it as an image. It’s also worth saving the project’s PSD file and storing all the layers for future edits.
More from us: