Knowing how to migrate Outlook account to Gmail is a necessity for companies and people who want to use the tools provided by Google Workspace and enjoy its benefits.
Why migrate to Gmail?
While Outlook and Gmail offer similar features for businesses, there are significant differences you should consider, such as Google ‘s flexibility due to its web-oriented interface and cloud services.
That is, if Outlook only works through an application installed on a computer, you can access Gmail and Google Workspace in any environment with internet directly through the browser.
In addition, Gmail facilitates team collaboration for various purposes such as school projects and workflows. Any changes you make to files in the Google ecosystem are automatically saved as you work.
Other important Google Workspace features include:
- Smart typing and personalized suggestions while typing a message;
- Different tabbed inbox categories that automatically sort incoming messages;
- Suggestions for unsubscribing from promotional senders that allow you to remove your address from email marketing lists;
- Importance markers that predict important messages for you to mark them;
- 99.9% effective spam filters for spam, phishing, malware;
- Alerts to remind you of messages awaiting replies by repositioning them at the top of your inbox.
- Possibility to send e-mails, use Chat, start video calls and organize agenda directly through Gmail.
How to Migrate from Outlook to a Business Gmail Account
To import data from an Outlook account into your Gmail, you can use the Google Workspace Migration for Microsoft Outlook (GWMMO) tool. This way, you can transfer email, calendar and contacts data all at once or from one app at a time. Check out:
- On a computer, open the internet browser;
- Go to the Google Workspace Migration for Microsoft Outlook app website ( tools.google.com/dlpage/gsmmo ) to download it;
- After installation, open GWMMO and login to your Google Workspace account;
- Grant necessary permissions to migrate Outlook data;
- Choose the “Migrate all data” option to transfer all account data;
- Select which data you want to import from Outlook;
- Click “Migrate” to start importing Outlook account to Gmail.
How to Migrate Outlook Data to Personal Gmail Account
If you’ve chosen to migrate from Outlook to personal Gmail, you can transfer your old emails and contacts from your account even more simply. So you can enjoy the benefits provided by the Google service and keep all the information in one place. Follow the steps below:
- Open your Gmail account on your computer;
- At the top right of the page, click on the settings button (gear symbol);
- Click on “See all settings“;
- Select the “Accounts and import” tab;
- Press the “Import messages and contacts” button;
- Enter the email address and password of the account in Outlook and click “Continue“;
- Choose what you want to import (emails and contacts) and select “Start import“;
- Wait until the procedure is completed.
The transfer time for e-mail messages and contacts depends on the amount of messages accumulated in the old account. After the task is finished, you will receive an email notification that they have been successfully imported into your Gmail account.
More from us: